Where There's No Pain In 

The Playroom

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Sickle Cell In Relationships

Diamond Ray

AJdub3 at August 28, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Diamond Ray at August 28, 2013 at 8:58 PM

AJdub3 at August 28, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Has anybody been ia relationship with someone who doesnt have Sickle Cell and had no clue what it it? Im sure this is something that we all think about when it comes to dating [I know i do]. I havent really thought about dating anyone because, as a guy, I feel that I would be too much of a liability on a woman.Ive talked to some of the women in my life about it. What do you guys think?

yes, I was in a relation with some one for three years and at first they had no clue until i got sick and we were forced to talk about it, thats a main issue that comes up which also provokes this question "

when is the best time to tell your significant other about your disease and how should you tell them?

Yeah thats a good question. I Usually let them know all about it before we even start talking. I dont believe you should wait until because in a relationship everything should be open and on the table. Thats my opinion, but i digress.

na thats my opinion too because you dont want to have any surprises going in to the relationship.

August 28, 2013 at 9:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AJdub3

Yeah and i feel like that could cause the person to maybe shy away, or appear as lying and etc.

August 28, 2013 at 9:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jew_ELstar06

Ameen at August 28, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Diamond Ray at August 28, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Ameen at August 28, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Being in a relationship with someone who has sickle cell some pros would include mutual understanding & support. The cons however, out weight the pros and that's cool it's called a relationship for a reason; you will have to put in work. Eventually, the good will out weight the bad. Some cons will be or at least I think will be the topic of having childern, the time where we as "Sicklers" wanna be alone and your significant other maynot be feeling what your feeling and then there's a lack of understanding because the support isn't there.Some core issues I think that's most important to me because I am a family man would be having childern. As a sickler, we know or (at least I hope we do )the precentages of passing on what we carry to our kids. Two sicklers dating one another I feel should be easy just as long as both understand their disease. I mean the support, mutual understanding & then if it goes as far as reproducing then they'll have to decide if they want to take that risk. Yet, in my opinion, I feel that dating somebody with the disease can be done because of the mutual understanding. I've done it for 3 years on and off. I understand the risk of reproducing w/ her and whatnot, I've even thought about adoption. I was told that I shouldn't reproduce & that I won't be able to ever because at the age of 15 I experienced Priapism. Honestly though that won't stop me when I'm ready for kid(s) Imma have them. Heck, the doctors were wrong so many times those are my thoughts on having childern and this whole fourm.

i agree with your point in saying that you just have a mutual understanding between one another, that my main pro, as far as Priaprism goes i've  experienced it as well and to my understrand you still produce semen so why wouldn't you be able to have children?

The doctors I've seen when I experienced it said that which I didn't believe they knew what they were talking about it anyway. That's why I said when I'm ready I'll have them.

I don't believe that the cons outweigh the pros there are a lot more pros that u think I believe the only main Con about it is the having children bit. But when it comes to trust respect love understanding communication support emotionally mentally physically having a advocate that's in your corner who is knowledgable about SCD again just someone who understands the in's & out's of dealing with SCD I know for me His heart is genuine most guys they only want one thing but with Him that is the last thing on his mind He wants to know me from the inside out first He wants so much more than just the physical so I know for me the pros def outweigh the cons in having a relationship with someone that has sickle cell than someone who doesn't have SC
--
Jew-EL
August 28, 2013 at 9:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jew_ELstar06
Have you guys ever got some in the hospital?? Have u ever got freaky while in a crisis?? Got head in the hospital bed or hit it real quick in the hospital bed lol??
--
Jew-EL
August 28, 2013 at 9:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Diamond Ray

23 Minutes left until end the active conversation but you all can feel free to talk amongst yourselves until we close the topic at midnight. when the conversation end please tune in to Wire Radio 24/7 With @ Ejay Perry http://www.live365.com/stations/member_10912050432

August 28, 2013 at 9:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jew_ELstar06
Oh ok cool
--
Jew-EL
August 28, 2013 at 9:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Diamond Ray

Jew_ELstar06 at August 28, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Have you guys ever got some in the hospital?? Have u ever got freaky while in a crisis?? Got head in the hospital bed or hit it real quick in the hospital bed lol??

nope never got nookie in the hospital, I never had the liberty of having some one to get busy in the hospital with. BUT i wouldn't be opposed as long as the nurse respect our privacy even if we have to creep, i want to feel like i'm some what safe. 

August 28, 2013 at 9:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Diamond Ray

Ameen at August 28, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Diamond Ray at August 28, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Ameen at August 28, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Being in a relationship with someone who has sickle cell some pros would include mutual understanding & support. The cons however, out weight the pros and that's cool it's called a relationship for a reason; you will have to put in work. Eventually, the good will out weight the bad. Some cons will be or at least I think will be the topic of having childern, the time where we as "Sicklers" wanna be alone and your significant other maynot be feeling what your feeling and then there's a lack of understanding because the support isn't there.Some core issues I think that's most important to me because I am a family man would be having childern. As a sickler, we know or (at least I hope we do )the precentages of passing on what we carry to our kids. Two sicklers dating one another I feel should be easy just as long as both understand their disease. I mean the support, mutual understanding & then if it goes as far as reproducing then they'll have to decide if they want to take that risk. Yet, in my opinion, I feel that dating somebody with the disease can be done because of the mutual understanding. I've done it for 3 years on and off. I understand the risk of reproducing w/ her and whatnot, I've even thought about adoption. I was told that I shouldn't reproduce & that I won't be able to ever because at the age of 15 I experienced Priapism. Honestly though that won't stop me when I'm ready for kid(s) Imma have them. Heck, the doctors were wrong so many times those are my thoughts on having childern and this whole fourm.

i agree with your point in saying that you just have a mutual understanding between one another, that my main pro, as far as Priaprism goes i've  experienced it as well and to my understrand you still produce semen so why wouldn't you be able to have children?

The doctors I've seen when I experienced it said that which I didn't believe they knew what they were talking about it anyway. That's why I said when I'm ready I'll have them.

i'm with that, some tiimes these doctor really don't know they just read their info from the book and go based on that instead of what they see in front of them

August 28, 2013 at 9:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

jenniferB

Has anybody been ia relationship with someone who doesnt have Sickle Cell and had no clue what it it? Im sure this is something that we all think about when it comes to dating [I know i do]. I havent really thought about dating anyone because, as a guy, I feel that I would be too much of a liability on a woman.Ive talked to some of the women in my life about it. What do you guys think?

I am engaged to someone who don't have Sickle Cell and when I met them they knew a little bit about it but not that much. I explained it to him and we had a big discussion about it and what to do if I were to have a crisis. He completely understood everything and is by my side every time I am having a crisis and when I get admitted to the hospital. I think if you want to have a great relationship you have to tell the person up front and not wait until you have a crisis because that way you will see if that person is going to be by your side and understanding. We are talking about having kids after we are married next year and he met with my doctor and he explained the chances and everything to him so our child will have the trait
August 28, 2013 at 10:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Corin Nashea

I am a sickler and I have a boyfriend of 4 years and 9 months. We got together in December of 2008. When we first met I took it upon myself to let him know that I have sickle cell and I needed to know if he had it as well or did it run in his family. Well praise the heavens, he does not. I have had multiple surgeries while with him and he has been there by my bedside after each surgery. I had my left hip replaced and he was there, but I had my right hip replaced he was not because he was starting college. Although he wasn't there, he sent me some roses and a card that read "I'm sorry I couldn't be there, but I hope everything goes well". He has taken me to the hospital on occasion. I can count on him being there for me when I don't feel well. I love him so much and he's never judged me because I'm different. I really appreciate that.

August 29, 2013 at 7:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kiwi

Diamond Ray at August 28, 2013 at 9:08 PM

AJdub3 at August 28, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Diamond Ray at August 28, 2013 at 8:58 PM

yes, I was in a relation with some one for three years and at first they had no clue until i got sick and we were forced to talk about it, thats a main issue that comes up which also provokes this question "

when is the best time to tell your significant other about your disease and how should you tell them?

Yeah thats a good question. I Usually let them know all about it before we even start talking. I dont believe you should wait until because in a relationship everything should be open and on the table. Thats my opinion, but i digress.

na thats my opinion too because you dont want to have any surprises going in to the relationship.

Tell right away. What if you have sex and end up with a baby with Sickle Cell? Yes, it's a tough conversation, but it is very necessary. 

December 10, 2014 at 11:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.